Arriving this week on Special Edition Blu-ray is Herschell Gordon Lewis’ 1963 horror cult-classic, “Blood Feast”. Being a Miami native, there is something extra special about this film. There aren’t many horror films set in or even filmed in Miami. For this reason, “Blood Feast” holds a special place in my heart. To this day, I still haven’t watched the 2002 sequel, but I am thrilled that Arrow Video has given the original the Special Edition treatment.
“Blood Feast” is considered by many the grandfather of gore films. Although this isn’t a 2K or 4K remastering, the high definition transfer still looks quite great. Admittedly, “Blood Feast” isn’t one of my favorite films, but the Miami connection is still something special to me. For those who love this one, Arrow Video as packed the release with tons of bonus content. If you are a fan, make sure to include this edition in your collection.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard DVD presentations
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Scum of the Earth – Herschelll Gordon Lewis’ 1963 feature
- Blood Perspectives – Filmmakers Nicholas McCarthy and Rodney Ascher on Blood Feast
- Herschell’s History – Archival interview in which director Herschell Gordon Lewis discusses his entry into the film industry
- How Herschell Found his Niche – A new interview with Lewis discussing his early work
- Archival interview with Lewis and David F. Friedman
- Carving Magic – Vintage short film from 1959 featuring Blood Feast Actor Bill Kerwin
- Alternate “clean” scenes from Scum of the Earth
- Promo gallery featuring trailers and more
- Feature length commentary featuring Lewis and David F. Friedman moderated by Mike Grady
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Twins of Evil
By: Marc Ferman